In December 1857 members of the Musikverein were rejoicing about a 'great, truly imperial Christmas present'. The Emperor Franz Joseph 1 had given permission for the demolition of the old city walls and thereby ereaied the possibility for the expansion of ihe city over a wide area. This was the beginning of the Viennese Ringstrasse period. According to ihe Emperor's decree, new buildings, including an opera house, galleries and museums, were to be built on the Ringstrasse, and this was the source of hope that the Musikverein would finally be able to move out of its old building.
Austria - Europe