The Cathedral Music Association and Mozarteum was founded on 22 April 1841 on the initiative of a group of committed citizens of Salzburg. Besides organising concerts the association promoted musical education. In 1844, Mozart’s son, Franz Xaver Mozart, authorized that the manuscripts and fragments in his estate, the clavichord and the entire library should be bequeathed to the Mozarteum. The centenary of Mozart’s birth was celebrated in 1856. Many artists and singing societies took part and a first “Mozart Exhibition” took place in Mozart’s Birthplace, Getreidegasse No. 9.
Austria - Europe